Friday 18 October 2013

Music - Part 134 - Oozing Wound


Oozing Wound – Retrash (Thrill Jockey)
LP/CD/DL
Out Now

Chicago based thrash metal trio, Oozing Wound, release their debut mini album and I have to admit that thrash isn’t my thing, but, to validate my ‘everything deserves one listen’ claim, I thought I’d give this a go.  To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised and I suspect that my fourteen year old Son may well be pretty impressed too, but, I don’t think my Dad would be as approving.

So, what do we have here?  Well, as the PR blurb says, it’s ‘not one for headphones or your laptop’ so I played loud, in the car on the way to work yesterday.  What we have is seven tracks of pure noise, big noise and to quote guitarist and vocalist Zack Weil – “loud fucking guitars and screaming shit”.  It’s a pretty good summary and this ‘Retrash’ review could well end there.

By their own admittance, they don’t write melodies and don’t do big choruses either.  What they do do is loud, angry noise with more balls than a sex-starved angry Bull and lines which can be either humorous, or, intentionally offensive to the Biblical Joseph on ‘Welcome To The Spaceship, Motherfucker’.



You really should guess what you’re in for with opener ‘Everyone I Hate Should Be Killed’ which is a huge chunk of thrash/grunge which will certainly wake you first thing in the morning as yesterday’s car journey can testify.  Not an album for the light-hearted, and, certainly not one for folks who aren’t open to persuasion.

Is Retrash a classic?  No, it isn’t, and, the band probably don’t really give an airborne intercourse.  Is the album made with power, aggression and feeling?  You better believe it.

7.5/10

Links

Published on Louder Than War 18/10/13 - here




No comments:

Post a Comment